1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is my roo doing this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lobzi, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Back ground: I found Chickie and he has lived most of his life with just me and other humans around him. When we are together he sometimes gets into a corner or little secluded area, does a little diggy thing with his feet, makes this clicking sound and hunches way down. What in the world is he trying to communicate to me? Often, when I come over to see what he is doing, he will leave the spot and stop making the clicking sound. Sometimes I lean down and pet him when he stays in the spot. He never stays there long once I have found him.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    He wants you to come and lay an egg there! Isn't that the cutest? I've seen mine do it to the hens but you ARE his hen. [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Moral of the story: be careful when you lean over! [​IMG]

4. Lobzi

How funny....I sort of expected that. He tried to get me to eat the worms and assorted other goodies he finds. I have to tell him that I wish I was hungry but since Im not it is for him. He finally eats it after a lot of cajoling on my part and resistance on his.

5. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Ohhhhhh............I see now. We keep our chickens in a fenced in area at the barn. There's a dog house inside the barn where our 2 hens lay their eggs. For the first time today I saw our rooster go in the doghouse and cluck up a storm. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought that HE was laying an egg. lol

6. Lobzi

Quote:Now that he has not yet tried....I have read stories from others though.

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Yes, just keep an eye on him. My lovely little Caesar did that for a long time to me and I thought it was so cute. A few days ago he sneak attacked my when I was leaning in to get some eggs. Little jerk. I scooped him up by his feet, tucked him under my arm like a little football and carried him around for a while while I was decorating in the house. He hasn't tried again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by