why is my roo flogging the new girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa202, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My 4 silkie girls just got integrated with the rest of the flock this week. They are 11 weeks old and have been in an adjoining coop (all chickens could see them all along) and have been free ranging with the others for 2 months. My rooster has been kicking them and chasing them sometimes. Is this normal and will it stop?

2. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    My roo used to do this until the queen, (highest hen in the pecking order) decided she had enough. She kicked the poop out of my roo and ever since then, things have been normal. I guess all it takes is time.

Good luck

3. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    I think that's normal. Roos sometimes have a hard time when their "families" are changed or added to. Roos are just more aggressive in general, and newbies are common targets.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you think he's chasing them to try to mate them??? At their age that doesn't sound like the case - but some roosters will go after anything. I would keep a really close eye on things to make sure he doesn't injure them.

5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:I don't think he wants to mate. I saw him kick one and then I saw him chasing one. He's not pecking at them, so that's good. He does leave them alone when they run away.

It's funny, but none of the other chickens bother them at all (well, except Daisy) but I have to say the integration was smooth...but then silkies are so sweet, who would want to hurt them.

Maybe he's just making sure they know their place.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He regards them as intruders, and due to their different appearance he may not even realize that they are chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Good point! I don't think my d'uccle roo has yet realized that my silkies are chickens. He doesn't go after them, but I see him giving them odd looks sometimes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by