Why is my rooster coming after me? (UPDATE.pg.5)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, May 3, 2009.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have had my chickens since 3 days old and they turned 1 on April 5th. Anyway, I have a deleware rooster and yesterday and today he ran after me. I of course ran away screaming for dear life because I myself am the biggest chicken of all [​IMG] But seriously, why would he be running after me? Do I need to get rid of him, do I need to swat at him, what should I do? Thanks

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you are scared of him, then you need to get rid of him. You're fear will only lead to him being 'swatted' every time he turns around.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

He's a man now and wants to protect his ladies. It's also spring (read: mating time) and they seem to be a bit more aggressive during this time. Read Rooster-Red's personal page to learn how to deal with an aggressive rooster. Since it just started, you may be able to rehabilitate him!

CLICK HERE for Rooster-Red's Personal Page

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I think he wants to go to freezer camp.

5. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Swat him with a broom till he behaves. He has to learn that you are the ALPHA,,, If you want respect, you have to demand it. Another trick is grab him and dunk him in cold water a couple of times. He'll soon shy away from you.

6. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I'm not sure about the cold water thing, that could lead to catching cold/getting sick. When he comes at you, catch him and carry him around with you for a while. You have to be the alpha roo. As long as he knows he can push you, he will continue to do so. It is high mating season but nonetheless, he needs to know you are boss, no exceptions.

7. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the great advice.....but, if I'm already this darn scared of him, how do you guys propose I pick him up? I haven't picked up my chickens since they were small because I didn't want to get pecked. I told you I am the biggest chicken of them all. I get that I should wear long sleeves and gloves but how do I actually get him, if he don't want to be gotten?

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Suck it up, be a big girl, and grab him....

9. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I can sympathize with you. I myself have been a victim of roo domaincy (sp?). Nothing worse than being stalked by a large barred rock roo LOL! You can do three things either show him who is boss, try holding a open umbrella in front of you, give him to someone else who is familar with roos or cull him. If you still want a roo try a roo of the docile breeds like a buff orpington or australorp. My friend freebie has a bantam roo and a australorp roo that live together and the australorp is way friendlier than the bantam! This has nothing to do with you, it is just mother or in this case father nature kicking in.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, you have to get an attitude and decide that no bird with a brain the size of a walnut is going to get the better of you!
    If you hit at a rooster, you are just fighting with him. If you grab him and humiliate him, make him submit, that's much better, however, it may not work with certain roosters. The last rooster that left here because of aggression went to live in a freezer bag. I do not put up with human-aggressive roosters here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by