why is my rooster in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadsdeercamp, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    is he going broody?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    My rooster does that too to encourage the hens to lay there. He doesn't chill in there for a long time though.

3. Philidelphia Eagles

Philidelphia Eagles Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I've seen them do that to? lol

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My OEG was doing that today, he stayed in there while the hen was trying to lay too.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

A roo goes into a nestbox to help get it ready for the hen to lay, to show it is good enough and also safe.

A roo might also talk to his girls while they lay and sing the egg song with them when they are done.

Sometimes when my girls are upset about something in the coop, they will go and get the roo. He will come back and check the coop out, looking in nestboxes and talking to the girls. The girls will then get into the boxes and lay.

6. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Quote:My game roo does that with my girls. [​IMG] Makes me laugh to hear him singing with them. I think it's just natural for them to be protective of them.

7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:What great guys! Wish I could have a roo...someday... [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some roosters take it upon themselves to be "laying coaches," kinda like a husband attending lamaze classes with his wife.

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i had my roo do that once, but i had to help him out after because he got in the banty nestbox and couldnt get out, and he's not a banty [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:My game roo does that with my girls. [​IMG] Makes me laugh to hear him singing with them. I think it's just natural for them to be protective of them.

Yes it is very natural. The roosters have a direct interest in the hens being able to lay a clutch of eggs, hatch chicks and raise them to add to his flock. Good roos will also help care for chicks - calling them to eat, stopping squabbles and even being a warm spot for babies to warm up.

Course - just because you might not have seen your roo do any of this, does not make him a "bad" roo -- he might just be shy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by