1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is my rooster not mating with my 16 week olds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I noticed that my 20 week old white leghorn rooster will only mate with his 20 week old pullet. He won't try to mate the others who are 16 weeks old as of last Tuesday. Are they just too young and he knows it? Or will he try soon enough? I've noticed them squatting and staying close to him lately. Before they would run away from him all the time. Do the hens naturally want to be mated?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It varies by chicken. Some roosters, especially young ones, will try to mate with anything around, regardeless of age and sometimes even sex. A lot of the time, it is a dominance thing. I've had older hens "mate" with younger pullets when no mature rooster is around. Many mature roosters "know" when a hen or pullet is ready and has some control of his hormones.

Some hens or pullets want to be mated. They'll squat for anything with spurs. But a lot, especially more mature hens, expect a rooster to behave properly. Dance, find them treats, and offer protection, keep peace in the flock by breaking up fights, the things a good rooster is supposed to do. Many adolescent roosters are not very good at any of these and just give in to the hormonal urge. Many pullets and a whole lot of mature hens don't like this and will resist. I have a mature hen and a fairly immature rooster right now. Most of the egg laying pullets will willingly squat for him, but the mature hen whips his butt if he tries to get fresh with her.

I could be really wrong, but I'd think your 20 week old rooster has his hormones fairly well under control and just knows the 16 week olds are not quite ready.

That the pullets willingly squatting for him, even if he ignores them, is a pretty good sign that they may start to lay fairly soon, but I had a 13 week old pullet that would squat for a rooster and she did not start to lay until she was 20 weeks old. Them squatting is a good indication but not a for-sure sign.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Or maybe the problem is your "pullets" are cockerels. That's how I find out finally if I have pullets or roos - the rooster ignores the ones that aren't pullets.

In your case, time will tell.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My cockerel ignored those without red faces. I guess he's mature for his age because he also tidbits, dances, prepares nesting sites for them, etc.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I would love it if they were close to laying! Haha! But I think I have awhile to go yet. I know my 20 week old would like him to start mating someone else [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well just a few minutes ago my rooster jumped at my Ancona whose comb is red and floppy. She scattered quickly but I think he had in mind to mount her. Guess she doesn't want to be mated as much as she acted earlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by