Why is my rooster still a virgin?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandelyn, Oct 23, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Overrun With Chickens

Aug 30, 2009
    Mt Repose, OH
    My Coop
    When I previously had chickens, I always started with chicks or young stock that wasn't yet laying. Roosters were normally "accidents" I picked out of straight run chick cages.

But every egg I ever got was fertile, fertility never being an issue. The roosters seemed to "grow up" before the hens started laying, so when they did start laying, the eggs were "good".

This time though, my rooster seems to be missing part of his development.

He does everything else he's supposed to do. Watches out for them, interupts their hen spats, feeds them, shows them around the yard. I saw him pick out a nest site a couple days ago (they all ignored it, and I don't blame them, not only was it away from the nest boxes, it was in a bright corner without any privacy).

He courts them, does the wing dance, and he started the egg song yesterday when Chipmunk laid her first egg for me. She's 2 years old, has been a momma, and so she's my only experienced hen. Her egg sure tasted good in the omlette, but it was a dud as far as hatching goes. Not fertile. I know she "likes" Jibbers, she never argues with him, comes when food is offered, doesn't shy away from him when he does the wing dance.

He's really liking the two new standard game hens I got, courts them more than the others. They're not laying yet, the guy I got them from said about another month before they start. (they're 5 months old)

But I still haven't seem him "do the deed" and there is not one hen who is missing any feathers anywhere. My dad said "You don't know what goes on in that hen house after you turn the light out"... LOL... true, but that egg wasn't fertile.

Prissy is acting like she'll lay soon, squating for me, bawking while pacing in the house (which is what Chipmunk did all day yesterday and finally laid at 3pm)

I changed their diet around a week ago, 2 cups of layer pellets, 1 cup showbird/game feed (does amazing things to their plumage and shine) 1/4 cup shelled/crumbled sunflower seeds (adds fat for winter, they've been on that for a month now and I can feel a difference in weight) and some oyster shell sprinkled over the top, then all mixed in, twice a day. Plus 3 hours a day of free range for bugs and grass.

Anyways, the diet change and lightbulb addition is what got Chipmunk back into laying, but now I have this dang virgin rooster still! Him and Prissy were hatched in Spring of this year, not sure what month. His spurs are nubs, less than 1/4 inch long.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You are probably missing the "event". After all, you aren't with them 24/7. The first rooster I put in the flock took five MONTHS to produce one fertile egg. He was 11 months old when introduced to the girls. There were two problems. Hawkeye had never been with any hens before and he was a complete gentleman. He always was very sweet and laidback, never pushing himself on the girls. Then, he had to perfect the actual mating part of it. So, just give him time. He's probably mating the girls and he's just needing to get the technique right.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I totally agree with Speckled. My rooster started out afraid of the girls (he had just moved into the position of alpha roo). Then he wanted to mount them from the side; which was funny, but ineffective. Now out of every dozen eggs, 11 are fertile. He rarely mates in my presence though.

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:this is one of the most adorable threads yet! i wish I had a rooster, but if he is anything like my dog he will get it backwards [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:this is one of the most adorable threads yet! i wish I had a rooster, but if he is anything like my dog he will get it backwards [​IMG]

Probably the funniest part, at least from my DH's perspective, was me standing out there hollering "No Thor! Not like that! You have to get behind her!" [​IMG]

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Overrun With Chickens

Aug 30, 2009
    Mt Repose, OH
    My Coop
    LOL... that's hilarious. Poor boys!

Saw mine try this morning. No dice though, he fell off. [​IMG]

He atleast was positioned right though! And the hen was willing (same hen that finally laid for me!)

He was very nice about it, which explains why no one is missing any feathers. And maybe why he fell off?

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Your Jibbers is a gentleman. That's so sweet! [​IMG]

8. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Eh...give him time and he'll get it down. [​IMG] It does seem like some prefer to have more privacy than others....[​IMG]

9. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    I will loan you one of mine because if he can catch it and hold it down its considered his I dont care if it is a duck,turkey,cat or a chicken. Also he dont care if the whole world is standing there it if funny that chickens are like people some just dont care.

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Cat? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by