why is my rooster suddenly acting CRAZY?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Jul 26, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    my little rooster i think is trying to be a ladies man with the hens and ME ALSO. i feel i have to watch out for him while outside. i try to keep something in my hand to shew him. he pecked my leg and left a small bruise. is this normal for him to be acting this way with me. he can be all the way across the yard see me come outside or hear me and here he comes!!!! also we have 2 roosters they were all supposed to be hens by the way.....anyway they are about a month older than the buff orpington hens and they are after them ALL the time its like they can never get any peace. is this normal? what can i do to help my little girls? the girls run to me for protection and of course i protect them but the boys are driving me CRAZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP!!!!!

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
  3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    well at this point i dont think i would call it attacking. i think he is just flirting a bit. but it is intimidating. now if i get my shoe off and try to shew him away he will try to get a little rough with the shoe. i think i may try holding him for a little while. he also pecks and scratches my clothes if i am sitting where he can. but the hens do that to . i think that is some kind of love showing or bed fixing behavior.

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I think holding him is a good response. It definitely takes you out of the 'chicken' reality. For him to learn that you shouldn't be messed with 'holding' is a good one.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yes ... hold him and carry him around! Also, do you have too many roosters for your number of hens???

6. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I know exactly how you feel I have a rooster right now that thinks he is the man of all the ladies including me. I haven't gotten him to break his bad habit yet. And he keeps getting sneeker about coming after me. I'm hoping to correct it soon he is my favorite rooster. [​IMG]

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    well i have 4 hens and 2 roosters. 2 roosters by accident i love them but didnt intend to get any roosters. i was told they were hens.

8. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    You should get rid of one of the roosters for sure. At most you want one rooster for every 10 hens or so.

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Teenage roosters can be annoying as they try to find their place. You need to establish your place in the pecking order, and that is above them!!

I have an annoying 6 month old Phoenix roo. He's really a cool bird when he's calm, but he definitely has the hormones raging. If I catch him acting improperly he's quickly grabbed by the ankles and subdued, either in my arms or in a solitary pen until he calms down. Hold them firmly until they quit resisting. Then you win.

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    yea i ahve been picking him up after reading it on here. i had been holding him some but not as much since he is being mister moncho! its a little intimidating. he flogged my daughters leg 2 times today. i told her to just walk right by him cause when she runs he chases her. i got a good laugh but she didnt think it was as funny as i did. he didnt hurt her just a little scratch or peck. he is about 3 months old. he was SUPPOSED to be a hen. we dont even know what he is. he is cute and can be sweet. although i dont like having to keep my eye on him. its like you walk outside dont see him anywhere and then all of a sudden he appears. i dont think i could give him to someone else. after all he is our pet. even if he is driving th ehens CRAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by