Why is my rooster..................?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GSDMommy, Oct 27, 2013.

1. GSDMommy

GSDMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so my rooster, Mr. Cluckles, every morning I go outside to open the coop and let them out and while the ladies go on and start doing their thing, he comes straight at my leg and pecks it a couple of times??? Mon - Fri I have been diligent about the time I open up, 7 to 7:15, which, right now, is still a tid bit dark but he did this to me last weekend and got my leg because I wasn't expecting it but this weekend I shooed him away, I was only 15 minutes late this morning. Is he scolding me for being late or what?lol. He is a roo and I understand they have bad attitudes sometimes but any and every other time I step in that fenced in area he loves me. Your experience?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's a roo and he's being aggressive, not cool.

Give more details on how many and how old your flock is and what kind of housing they have.

1 person likes this.
  3. GSDMommy

Right now there are 5, 4 hens, 1 roo, in an 8x4 coop. The "run" is about 1300 sq ft. Flock is young, born in June this year. We have built the coop and it still needs a little work with the cold weather fast approaching but will be done soon. I guess he's just not a morning bird.lol. It's like I see the aggression, because he is coming for my leg and even when I shoo I can see it in his eyes that he is thinking about disregarding me but doesn't, for now. But if Mr.Cluckles keeps it up I will be making some fried chicken. I just hate to because any other time of the day he is first to run up to me, hang out and isn't afraid of me. We've had them about a month.

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's just coming into maturity...if he's usually non aggressive just don't react to his morning aggression and it hopefully will stop...don't back away from him, don't walk around him-walk thru him, don't fight back.

Lots of different ways to deal with roosters...some things work some don't.....sometimes only time will tell...then sometimes there's just soup!

Good Luck!

2 people like this.
  5. GSDMommy

Thanks. So what should i do when he pecks at my leg, nothing? These are my 1st sorry just not sure. Yes, soup, mmmm.lol

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pick him up and carry him around for a while. Do not put him back down until he no longer struggles. Show him you are top rooster.

1 person likes this.
  7. GSDMommy

Ok, i will give that a try tomorrow morning, thanks. :)

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might want to do some thread searches re: handling an aggressive rooster. Do not allow him to peck you. There are lots of ways to deal with it, do some reading, and choose the method that seems to work with your management style. Do you have children to worry about? Is he allowed to free range, or always penned? Those answers will help you to decide how to proceed with him.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ^^^^ T H I S ! ! ! ^^^^

Lots of ways to do it, you need to decide what you are going to do and stick with one technique because consistency is most important in training any animal.

Good Luck!

10. GSDMommy

I do have children but he is a huge run 1300sq ft, so I dont know to call that free ranged or penned lol. He shows, so far, nothing to any of us after the morning incident to me each morning. I will keep an eye, do some more research and be consistent, thanks guys (or/and gals) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by