Why is my yard so quiet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensbythesea, Nov 4, 2011.

1. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    My alpha rooster lost his life a few weeks ago, and his son has stepped up into his role in almost every way, but he isn't crowing, and I miss it.

He's defending, dancing for the girls (I haven't seen it work yet though), and definitely old enough to be crowing (about 20 and a half weeks old), but neither he nor the 3 18-week old roosters have ever tried to crow. Not once.
    They'll make a distressed sound if there's a hawk, but no cock-a-doodle activity. The yard feels so empty without the sounds of a proud rooster.
    I don't think it's because our old guy kept them in line, because we've had other roosters he watched grow from chicks, and they crowed while he was still around. These guys are just, ninja roos.

I know it's a weird complaint, but I've somehow achieved the dream, bred silent roosters, and I DON'T like it. How do I make them noisy?

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I've hard roosters are less likely to crow if they feel safe and are not dominant. Maybe because the son has just "taken over' he won't crow till he's sure his dad won't appear to kick his bum for it.

Maybe you've just bred really mellow roos. You could sell them for squillions!

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Just waaaaaaaiiiit for it........

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:Yep, once he figures out he's the boss of the flock he will declare so with endless crowing.

5. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Quote:Yep, once he figures out he's the boss of the flock he will declare so with endless crowing.

I can't wait! Even when we had 4 that all crowed, all day, I loved it! (Weird, I know [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by