1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is one chicken plucking the other?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bellydancer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bellydancer

bellydancer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    I have two Americauna chickens in a coop with a tractor for them to mess around in several hours a day in my back yard. I don't know where the activity is occurring, but one of them is sleekly feathered and the other one looks like she molts way too often. I'm suspecting Miss Sleekly Feathered is plucking or pecking at the other. They are both laying pretty regularly and they eat a ton of kitchen scraps and have pellets and water available when they are in the coop. Is this normal chicken behavior, i.e. "pecking order"? Should I worry?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    On the one hand, they are chickens and chickens are somewhat inclined to do that sort of thing (when the only tool you have is a beak, everything looks like something to be pecked at).

On the other hand, it is often brought on by stress, crowding, boredom or a protein deficiency. How much space do they have; would it be possible to get them out of the coop longer/more often; and have you tried adding additional protien to their diet.

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by