1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Why is one hen singing the eggs laying song at 8 at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmama109, Aug 17, 2018.

1. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    Hi I have 12 hens one rooster and it was 8 at night and getting dark when all the other hens were going and getting ready to roost there was that one hen that always goes in last to roost and for some odd reason she was singing the egg laying song but why she was not in the coop or the laying box and she did not lay an egg there was no predator that I could see and she did not lay why was she singing the song

2. blackandtan

blackandtan Chirping

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    Can someone PLEASE PLEASE find a way to record and post the egg song!?!! I've never heard it and I'd love to!

Amypetersn and chickenmama109 like this.
  3. chickenmama109

chickenmama109 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    texas
    I can try lol but there are lots on you tube just look up chicken singing the egg laying song and it should come up

aart likes this.
  4. tg44

tg44 In the Brooder

Aug 17, 2018
    I've never even heard of the chicken egg laying song:) I too am going to look it up:)

chickenmama109 likes this.
  5. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Is she a young? Mine do it in a certain bush lol. Strange little creatures.

6. blackandtan

blackandtan Chirping

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    They ARE strange little creatures aren't they lol
    So I did google it - don't know why I hadn't thought of that - and I've heard the egg song before, I didn't know that's what it was. I always thought they were angry about getting evicted from their favourite nest by another hen

7. MissChick@dee

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    It’s more like....I’m in LABOOOOR!!!!:lau

to BarbsGirls and Crow-ded house like this.
  8. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    Good grief between 730-0900 in the morning it sounds like a chicken massacre at my house as that is when mine all do their laying. The ones laying, the ones already laid and gonna lay plus roosters and two guineas cheering them on lol my poor bunny Ms Stoney gets a rude awakening!! One day I may just see her with a credit card reserving a room at a quiet b and b somewhere!!

9. MissChick@dee

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Mine started going one by one EVERYONE got going. It was just too funny. I got it on video as soon as I started laughing they stopped and walked away. Ruined the moment.

10. Kfults

Kfults Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Southwest Louisiana
    My don’t sing when they lay ( only 2 laying currently out of 11 pullets). I do hear one of my layers sing if she gets spooked or agitated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: