Why is one hen still laying eggs and why are the other 4 hens not laying? They are all molting and

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkpixybug, Nov 5, 2014.

1. pinkpixybug

pinkpixybug New Egg

Apr 5, 2013
    Olympic North Peninsula
    I am new to chickens, this is my first year going through a winter with chickens and I am trying to figure out why only 1 of 5 hens are laying. A few facts here.
    1) I picked Buckeyes to raise because I live in the Pacific North West and Buckeye's are known to not need heat and light and do well in winters here.
    2) They FreeRange and They all kennel at night and get let out first thing in the morning and are out all day till they are ready for bed again, they have nesting domes on the porch they like to use to lay eggs in.
    3) They are fed Organic Layer Pellets and BOSS and other treats.
    4) They all Molted last month and are growing new feathers. ( that is when egg production dropped)
    5) I do NOT use nor plan to use lights and one still lays eggs so that theory is not conclusive,1/4 ratio though.
    6) All birds are just over a year old.
    7) They all appear to be healthy and running around eating bugs everywhere.
    So what I cant figure out is why one lays and not the others? Do chickens have
    a choice whether they WANT to be layers or not? If one can lay in winter why do the others not lay in winter? The one does not have to wait till spring to lay, that does not make me believe the others will lay in spring, that is a long time to wait to find out if it is just that they decided to NOT be layers and love running around all day playing on the property all day. Maybe they forgot their job was to lay eggs?

[​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well for one thing the bird in the center of that picture is a rooster, so four hens, not five.... that accounts for one. If the others have molted that will explain the lack of eggs. Since they are young birds they may very well start laying again soon once they have recovered from molting, or they may not lay again until spring.

In the meantime, check everybody carefully for mites/lice and if they've never been dewormed it's a good time to do so when they aren't laying anyway.

3. pinkpixybug

pinkpixybug New Egg

Apr 5, 2013
    Olympic North Peninsula
    Awhaha, good eye on the Roo [​IMG]. The other hen is at my feet.
    Yeah, I gave them Ivermectin 1% injectable orally a short while back just before and during their molt,
    and now, their feathers are growing back so healthy and fluffy like a little chick.
    I have not wormed them but I did give them some DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by