Why is one of my black sex link's picking at all the other 43 chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kathyinmo, Jun 15, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I posted on another thread, but I think I posted in the wrong topic. I think this is "behavior." I have 44 chicks, nearly 6 weeks old. The past 2 days I have noticed that one of the black sex links is going around and pecking at all the others. When she does get a feather, she eats it. Is this normal? Should I remove her from the flock? Please advise!

2. chickenchik12

chickenchik12 Songster

Jun 9, 2009
    stumptown CA
    probly just showing domonice.thats most likely one of your meaner roo's

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My black sexies are the more dominate of all my chickens. However if she is eating the feathers it may mean she's not getting enough protein. What's the protein content of your feed?

4. kathyinmo

I feed Purina starter/grower.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hmmm. Dunno. They aren't crowded? You could always give them a little bit of scrambled eggs for some extra protein. They will go nuts for it!

6. kathyinmo

Oh no, not at all crowded. Plenty of room. Do you really think she needs more protein than is in the Purina starter?

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Either establishing pecking order or it's a roo.

8. kathyinmo

But, it's a black sex link. Doesn't that mean it has to be a pullet? At this age, near 6 weeks, would it be, "pecking order?" Or is it protein? Or is it behavior? [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

She could have gotten a taste for feathers or is just plain bored. At 6 weeks they are still establishing pecking order and it is possible she wants to be and is getting to the top. My two lead hens have always been black sexlinks.

10. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I saw your other thread and this is the link that monk had

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: