Why is one of my white rocks so much smaller than the other

danimajor1988

Chirping
May 13, 2021
Bountiful Utah
So I have a pair of white rock pullets that were purchased at the same time, should be the same age, possibly sharing same mother. One is huge and the other is the smallest bird I have out of 7. She is definitely the last in pecking order and doesn't seem to care so much for doing normal chicken things like playing and foraging. She mostly stands around with her eyes closed. What's going on here? Is she sick?

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_095705.jpg
    IMG_20210524_095705.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210524_095541.jpg
    IMG_20210524_095541.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 6
My chicks do that posture when they are a bit cold or tired. But only for a minute.
If she is always doing that, there might be something wrong
She is mostly doing that yes, the flock will move around in the yard and she'll look up and see that they're gone and then cheep for them. I check her crop every night and some nights there's food in it an others no, but no for lack of food or food stations, the other chickens don't really harass her or pick on her or anything. It's like they know she is little and tired and they don't try to assert themselves with her. She isn't ever going after anything they want or usually fight about anyways but they don't bully her at all. Could it be failure to thrive? I noticed her feet are like a muddy yellow color and she doesn't groom herself so she looks disheveled and dirty.

Back
Top Bottom