Why Is Our Door So Attractive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rudimyers, Aug 10, 2014.

1. rudimyers

rudimyers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    Three breeds of chickens and four different flocks with chickens that would not have learned this behavior from each other ...

The chickens love the carport. Specifically our door. Right now, there are seven young (almost laying) Barred Rocks parked on the ramp right in front of the door. Do they like the color? Do they want inside? Are they hoping to catch up on Mythbusters or some other tv show? Does anyone else experience this?

It is cute/funny except for the poop factor ....

[​IMG]

2. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
    Our chickens do the same thing usually they want food or just want in because they know that you are there

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Is that the door you exit from to go out to visit them and give them treats? Mine congregate near the door we go in and out of the most and if they're not piled up near it, if they hear it open they come running as fast as their stubby legs will carry them.

On the other hand, mythbusters is pretty compelling so it might be that...

4. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Does Anyone Live Near St. Catharines, ON?

5. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Does Anyone Live Near St. Catharines, ON?

6. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Mine also do that. I also have one who tries to follow me inside.

7. mortie

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Mine would like to explore the house but...um...no.

8. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    To get to us, our chickens have to traverse 2 flights of steep deck stairs. Their path is blocked by a gate at the top of the stairs (to keep the toddler contained.) We've started blocking off the base of the stairs otherwise we will find 6 chickens jammed up against the upstairs gate waiting for us and making the top few treads hazardously slippery.

I assumed that it's because they know that's where treats come from. However, after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder if it's MythBusters they are trying to get in to watch. They WERE raised on it, after all..
    [​IMG]
    (Me watching Mythbusters with the babies on my shoulder about 4 months ago.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. mortie

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    We watched a couple of episodes last night...although it was after the girls went to bed. I gotta say, bobbing for apples via bungee jump sounds crazier than usual even for them lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by