why is rooster only jumping 2 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Harleychicks, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Harleychicks

Harleychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2015
    Poplarville, Mississippi
    We have 11 hens and 1 rir rooster , he only mounts the 2 Jersey Giant hens and no others. They have bald spots on their backs. Do I need more hens of the same color or do I get rid of the rooster, we aren't expecting chicks from them as the rate of laying is about 1 a day. Thanks for the advice

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many roosters will just mate the bottom pecking order hens, especially when young and lacking confidence. You did not mention their ages.

3. Harleychicks

Harleychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2015
    Poplarville, Mississippi
    I was thinking that too.these 2 are the new ones Its been a few months since we added them I thought that would be long enough to find their place. Im guessing all should be around 8 to 10 months old

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I find the second season roosters get more confidence and mate more hens. When they are younger they like what's easy, and mate a lot. If you don't want the rooster I would remove him, either permanently or for a few months to help your two hens recover. Roosters sometimes need management during their first year as they can be rough on hens.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Tis better to get mature or raise up mature roosters than it is to play musical cockerels and never ending up with a brood rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by