Why is selling these chicks so hard - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happytxchick, Jul 23, 2010.

1. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I took 6 of my momma hen's 9 chicks & put them in a cage to sell tomorrow. As infantile as it seems, I almost feel like crying. Ginger, the hen, gathered her remaining 3 chicks, left the roost, and is hovered in a corner like she's scared the other ones might be taken.

I have half a mind to text the buyer and tell her I can't sell them. How silly does this seem? What would you do?

2. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    bump;)

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

It is always a tough thing to do by taking chicks away from the mama. She will get over it usually within a day or two. Her mind will be focused on caring for the other three chicks.

4. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    thanks for your response...I sure hope so

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    It may help you to think of the fun and joy someone else is going to have with your chicks......................
    Mama hen will be fine..just give her some nice treats....it will make you feel better.........
    Good Luck

6. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    awww [​IMG] im sorry [​IMG] im gunna have to start selling ALL my chicks soon [​IMG] poor mamas [​IMG]

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    We just had puppies and I am already dreading the day I start letting them go to their new homes. We are just a bunch of saps.

8. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    chickens are NOT emotional....... my friend told me that and it has helped a lot..

Incubators are easier to sell out of........

I am glad that you are letting her keep three...

9. sunnyzoopet

sunnyzoopet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    China
    the chickens are humam minded

10. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    The fact that they bully each other makes me less prone to falling apart nowadays. I don't believe they are human-minded. We are known for applying our thoughts to animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by