Why is she biting me and the hen I am petting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldeneggtees, Jan 20, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I have 8 Buff Orpington Pullets who will be 1 in April. The ladies are very friendly, sometimes too friendly. They can be bossy and demanding when it comes to my attention and begging for treats. That's fine, as long as they are friendly about it, I don't mind. I have one though (Crazy Comb) that for whatever reason has recently taken to attacking my hand and whomever I am petting. Usually the pullet I am petting is in a squat but sometimes not. I never knew this particular pullet to be the dominant one or head of the group. That would be Large Marge in Charge. What gives? Why is she doing this? I've also seen her get on top of the hen I was just paying attention to. "Crazy Comb" has always been fairly friendly and likes to jump on my lap to be stroked on her face. She relaxes so much, she closes her eyes! I'm not really sure why this behavior has begun.

I do know one thing, while it's funny now, I definitely don't want this to continue.

BTW, the ladies free range on their own .25 acre so space is not the issue nor would food be the problem either. I try very hard to make sure their nutritional needs are met.

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I was a little worried based on your name "Crazy Comb" that she might be a roo, and then I went back and read that they're about 9 months old. So that shouldn't be the problem. If it were, you'd know for sure by now!

Some hens are just pecky and fussy. It sounds like she wants the attention for herself. I don't really have any good advice other than pushing her away and saying "No" every time she tries it. They really can learn NO, although they take their time about obeying sometimes (or maybe the word just takes a while to work through to their brain).

Good luck!

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    is there a roo? sometimes when there is not roo one hen will decide to take on the role of a rooster. And by attacking your hand while petting another pullet that is squatting that is like another rooster knocking off another rooster.

4. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    Quote:thats a thought too! I have a little bantam from a friends orig flock. There was no roo in the orig flock she came from, and she assumed the roo role. She even crows like a roo sometimes, even now. And there is a roo in the flock today. All in all, the flock looks for a leader, whether its an actual roo or a top hen assuming the roll

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, hmmm, no roo with the flock, so maybe she is taking on the role! But I tell ya, if I didn't know better, I'd think she was jealous and wanted my attention all to herself but that's probably not the case! [​IMG]

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    my little banty muffinz is like that too. if i pay attention to any other chicken she will walk up behind me and peck the backs of my legs until i turn around and address her for it. she reminds me of my 5yr old, he acts bad just so we all yell at him (he is my attention seeker lol).

7. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    My RIR does the same thing. Only she flies and sits on my shoulder or head, and starts rearranging my hair. She also isn't the dominant one, but she's one of my favorites so she gets lots of attention. I'm guessing she's just jealous. Chickens can be jealous? LOL

8. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    My hen started doing the same thing, but for different reasons. If she is starting to give you blood blisters and break skin, I would say it's time to brek the habit, but if its not bad than you could correct it more easily. Whenever my hen bit me (she gave me many blood blisters) I would "peck" her back and tap her on the head. She did start to lose trust in me though, so if you want her to continue to be friendly with you, try bringing a treat or something and only giving it to her while you are petting one of the other chickens. Try throwing a handful of mealworms, fruit, etc. on the ground a few feet away from you while you are petting the other chicken so she feels she is not 'missing out' on too much. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by