Why is she doing this? I NEED ANSWERSSSSS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    OK so i have 2 seremas and 1 silkie. Well 1 of the seremas keeping going under the the silkie. Like she just goes under the silkie. She just like crawls under her. I don't know how to describe it. Why does she do this? If you need more descriptions just ask cause. But ask questions cause i can answer those better.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    So how old are they? If they are fairly young the serama may be going under the silkie because it is a natural instinct for a young bird to hide under it's mother for warmth or comfort... I jus caught my adult blue cochin hen doing the same thing to the adult buff cochin rooster... [​IMG]

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I have grown chickens that try to cuddle underneath each other at night while on the roost.

Does it happen at night or during nap times, or just randomly whenever?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's playing hide and seek?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She could be cold, or could be wanting to hide because she is afraid, or could be wanting to hide under mama.

I hope that helps. I have seen all these scenarios.

6. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Mine do it too. Dont know ehy though maybe:
    -warmth
    -protection
    -just for fun

No idea.[​IMG]

7. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

So how old are they? If they are fairly young the serama may be going under the silkie because it is a natural instinct for a young bird to hide under it's mother for warmth or comfort... I jus caught my adult blue cochin hen doing the same thing to the adult buff cochin rooster... [​IMG]

She is 4 (mo) and 3/4s of a months old.​

8. FromOregon

FromOregon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    the Willamette Valley
    My girls are 6 mos old and one of the speckled sussex still tries to tuck under the the others on the roost.. seems to be for comfort, warmth or security like when they are chicks. One of the RIRs stands most of the time anyway, so this seems to work out for the two of them.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Seems like it's always my boys that do that. I guess I have some sissy boys. [​IMG]

10. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:it randomly just happens.....well actually its when i let them outside and she will just go under the silkie and just peck around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by