Why is she doing this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Nov 9, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    We just brought home our chickens last night. (a pair of sussex and trio of banty barred rocks) The female sussex keeps going up to the roo and pecking at his beak. Almost like little baby robins do when they want their mama to feed them.

What is this all about?

thanks

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Actually, alot of roosters will feed the hens from their beak. If I give my alpha roo a treat he never eats them. He just stands there, makes his "I've got a treat!" noise and all the hens run up and try to get it out of his beak.
    Sometimes when the hens see a little bit of something on his beak, even if it's dirt, they'll go peck just to be sure it's not something to eat.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I had a roo who often offered his ladies treats right from his beak. Sometimes if he had feed crumbs stuck to his beak the girls would clean them off. Some will peck little bugs off each others faces. Could this be what's happening? If so, you may have a really sweet roo, there, who will be gentle to his girls.

4. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I do believe that this is what is going on. And he really does seem like a sweet heart. Unlike the bantam roo! Who thinks he is all that and a bag of chips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by