Why is she......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

sitting in on a nest with her feathers REALLY fluffed??? She comes out to eat and drink and her feathers are laying down....she's not sick....she is sitting on 3 golf balls...is she broody????

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like it to me.

3. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Ha, I'm not the only one! My white Silkie is on again off again broody. Looks like a giant marshmallow. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bec

How did this happen? LOL [​IMG]
    They have been laying for a few weeks now and I have been collecting the eggs daily...should I have take the golf ball out by now??? How do I fix this?? LOL Poor girl will NEVER hatch those things!! [​IMG]

5. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Well, Mine would steal the fake eggs from the other nests to set. I took them out and put ice cubes under her and it seems to have done the trick. At least for a few days that is!

6. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    yep she is broody I would remove the golf balls or she will just sit there waiting for them to hatch.

And you dont want this to happen

[​IMG]

7. Bec

You know what? Come to think of it...there were 2 in one nest and 1 in the other..she is sitting on all 3!!! I bet she stole it!!
    If I take them all away will she go back to her normal lazy life with the other girls??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It might take a while...Silkies are as stubborn and pigheaded as us Pollacks when it comes to setting. Your best bet is to keep taking her off the nest, especially if you don't want chicks or the eggs are infertile. This will take some doing because she's gonna try and race you back to the nest so she can get back in.
    I've done the ice packs, fans, and even the large top of a steamer kettle so that she couldn't get comfy.
    It's a hormonal thing, so depending on how certain she is that she wants to brood, it may take a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

9. Bec

She is a 26 week old Buff Orpington...I didn't know that I had to expect this so early!!! LOL...So just take out the golf balls and take her off the enst...should carry her away to the rest of the girls???

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Buffs love being brody. They are quite good at it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by