1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is temp regulation so...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RightFromtheStartDoula, Apr 14, 2009.

1. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    Hey gang...the newbie here...I am having difficulty regulating the temp in my LG...it stays around 101.5 for a while and then it either goes up to 103 or down to 98...the room that it is in has no drafts or fans....

This is so nerve racking!!!!

Any ideas?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Set it close to 100. Then leave it for a couple hours then check. I have mine pretty close to sittting at 101. It does go up a tad and down a tad. 2-3 degree difference IMO is not so bad as a larger swing.

I also have 2 LG's going right not and have been since Jan. I have only had to adjust a couple times.

3. katrinag

You can also add a computer fan in the bator and make it forced air. I have yet to do this to mine cause they have not been free from more than 1/2 day.

4. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    which type of thermometers are more accurate?..the kind with murcery or digital?..I have both in it....

5. katrinag

I have had better luck with the ones from WalMart. Digital for me. I have never had anyluck with the mercury ones.

6. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I am on my first hatch with a LG. I think the thermometer that came with it is pretty much crap, it has read 99.5 irregardless of the temperature reading on my Walmart digital hydrometer/thermometer!

I just laid my eggs in the bator last night, so I'm officially on day one! Good luck!

ChickyLaura:jumpy

7. thebigroo

thebigroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NC
    Try a couple of temp gages and maybe even an old fashion themometer. Does your type have a fan in it. That makes a big difference. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by