Why is this girl left out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have a mixed age flock.

A group of older hens and their roo who were all raised together, and then a small group of five ladies who joined them over the summer. They saw this little group grow up, the coops were right next to each other and they could see each other right up until they seemed big enough to mix.

But, we also have small family, mama and her babies who are now about 3 months old.

We introduced the teenagers almost a month ago and the one girl spends all of her time trying to escape. (and succeeding!) And if we forget to close up the brooder coop, even though her sisters go into the big coop with everyone else, she'll huddle in there all alone.

She doesn't seem like she's getting picked on and the roo does not stop her form coming in the coop. Can I help her? She's a really sweet pretty bird and I don't want to have to give her up.

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Sometimes young birds can get real flighty around the older birds... in my experience, they usually grow out of it in time. There's not a whole lot that you can do about it other than "give it time" for the flock to work it out... as long as she's not getting injured by the other birds... [​IMG]

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Make sure she's eating and drinking.

I have a silkie that my flock wouldn't accept and she stayed hidden all the time .. When I would show up in the evening, most of the flock would move away from me as I refilled waterers and feeders .. this girl would come RUNNING out and eat eat eat and drink drink drink while I was there and then run hide again.

I picked her up and she was soooooo skinny. I realized that she was ONLY eating while I was there and she felt safe.

she is now in my garage, a pet, raising an orphan chick.

Nice bird.. but easily terrorized... and now a little fat.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by