Why is Wendy pecking on Madonna?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jann, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jann

jann New Egg

May 24, 2011
    Our 4 pullet/hens are about 24 and 25 weeks old, they're laying, but only 2 are everyday.
    Lately I have caught Wendy grabbing Madonna on the head somewhere several times now
    (she had white feathers in her beak last time I caught her) and at least 1 of the other girls
    seem to be stay clear of Wendy. Like they're nervous around her. What would make her
    do that?

Wendy is a silver laced wyandotte, Madonna is a white plymouth rock, Agnes is a rhode island red
    and BabaGanoush is a buff orpington

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Are you sure she isn't a he?

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    My SLW is definitely the head hen, and she grabs the feathers around the neck/back of head of the other hens to kind of keep her spot as king of the hill. She's really quite mean to the other chickens. She's even alpha to the poor rooster. I'm wondering if that breed is just somewhat ill tempered.

4. jann

jann New Egg

May 24, 2011
    I'm not actually positive Wendy isn't a rooster - I think 1 of the ladies is not laying eggs, but I don't know who. There has been competition for
    top hen in the pecking order before - and every night 3 of them jockey for top roost window seat - but Agnes (RIR) takes window lower roost and
    stays out of it. She had a dramatic response to her pecking order position.
    The idea that there's another SLW that is agressive or bullying does help - I'll watch and see if that's what it is. Still trying to catch her in the nesting
    box.
    They sure are a funny distraction.

thanks for your inputs. It helps.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Do you have a picture of your SLW that you can post? It'd be easier to decide if she's a hen or not if you had that.

6. jann

jann New Egg

May 24, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out how to put a picture in my post. I did get a picture uploaded to my profile, but not sure how to put it in a post. Working on that.
    I caught Wendy dragging Madonna around by the head again this morning. She's really quite the bully.

OK - I'm going to try to post the url to the image and see if that puts the image in the post. If it does, then this is the best up close photo I have of Wendy.

[​IMG]

Poor Madonna gets harassed (that would be "MY" interpretation of her actions) by Wendy when she's in the nesting box laying her egg. Wendy will stand
    outside the nesting box and make a bunch of noise. I suppose she could be coaching her in chicken talk, but I would think they might want to do that sort
    of thing in a quiet and peaceful environment.

OK - hope this photo comes through. Thanks again for your input.
    jann

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by