why isn't foster broody taking chicks out to the yard?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by haTHOR, Jun 25, 2010.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    [​IMG]

she lovs them and all, and is teaching them to scratch in the coop. but not coming out. i put them in tuesday night late, so this is the third day in the coop with them.

here is their set up...

[​IMG]

and there's a 6ft piece of OSB as a gangplank from the front down to the ground...not too steep at all.

i have set her out a couple times hoping she would cluck them out but she just gets crazy acting and gets back to them as quickly as possible.

is three days still normal to keep them in? anything i should do or just let "adoptive mama knows best" be my guide?

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Is this the broody's first batch of chicks?

3. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    yes!

i am considering putting her and the chicks in their own pen (for the day, with some shade/cover of course). i am wondering if she is nervous about the other birds? that way she could feel comfortable, with no other birds in the pen. but the other hens are walking up the plank and getting in the mama's/chicks' space, and don't seem to be causing trouble...everyone is peaceful.

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I think it's just 'horses for courses', some of ours drag their little fuzzballs out of the maternity unit before they can really walk properly, sometimes leaving eggs behind to hatch on their own, others take life a lot easier and can take up to a week before venturing 'outside' with their broods.

If they're all eating and drinking I wouldn't worry about it.

Isn't it so cute when they walk on top of mum.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. haTHOR

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    "don't worry about it" is my favorite response ever, here!

i want her to do things naturally and only want to intervene if necessary...sounds like i should give her a few more days of "mama mooning" as my human friends say.

i had just read so many threads and they all say "a couple" days...i will lay off worrying for a few more.

the other birds really will leave her and the babies be, right? (something new to worry about! lol)

6. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Unless she's already been picked on before the chicks arrived, it's very unlikley anyone will try it on with her now she has chicks.
    A hen with chicks is a committed bird, nothing will get to her chicks if she can help it.

I like the "don't worry" replies too, most of the time worrying about a problem is the very thing that makes us not look at the problem rationally.

Someone famous (I guess) said 'Worry is interest paid on trouble, before the payment is due'.

7. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    I think you should chill for a bit and let Mama decide when it is the right time.

As long as the chicks are eating, drinking, and doing chick things everything is fine.

8. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I think you should chill for a bit and let Mama decide when it is the right time.

As long as the chicks are eating, drinking, and doing chick things everything is fine.

I fully agree. Let her take as much time as necessary.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by