why isn't my hen going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mycountrycabin, Apr 18, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i have 3 hens laying in 1 box an none of them will go broody why?

2. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    You can't MAKE a hen go broody. Its just something she decides to do. It doesn't matter how many hens you have on a nest. What kind of chickens do you have? Some chickens don't go broody anymore. It has been sort of bred out of them.

3. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i have a barred rock,buff orpington,and a EE

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I had 12 eggs in a nest box and none of my hens went broody. I think buff orpingtons go broody.

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Some buff orpingtons go broody. I had 4, only 2 ever went broody. Some Barred rocks go broody, but not as many as the orpingtons.

6. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I've learned they will brood when they're ready. The only suggestion I can offer is to make sure there are plenty of eggs (even if you have to mix a few fakes) and if they are ready, they'll brood. Then you can remove the fake ones when she's feeding. Other than that, its up to anyone's game.

Good Luck.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Of my flock of 21 hens, only 1 has ever gone broody. I have Buff Orpingtons, Blue Orps, Barred Rocks, RIRs, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, and three that are Cochin/Silkie x Barred Rock! So, it is not a given that they will brood, even if the breed is considered broody.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by