Why isn't my khaki campbell laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LukeandAli, Jan 21, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    We got six chickens and a duck just over two weeks ago. I LOVE having them! At least five of our six chickens are laying, but, dear ducky still hasn't laid for us. She came with one of our other chickens (they are best friends and have been since they hatched, evidently) and seems to be happy, but, no eggs. :( She has a box to lay in, but, she just knocks it over and plays with the litter.

Any thoughts on how to get her to start laying?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is dear ducky? was she laying for her previous owners? it does take them awhile to get settled into a new home and feel comfortable, If she is able to knock it over why not try to give her something heavier so she can't. Once they get into a routine and feel safe she'll start to lay plus some breeds don't lay well over short days, so you may just have to wait till further along in spring. Good luck! and what are you feeding?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    She's 1.5 years old and was laying for her previous owners every day (or about 10-11 out of 12 days). She is eating the same feed (layer feed) and getting cracked corn treats. She was sitting in the nesting boxes in the chicken coop, but, she wasn't laying there and eventually got tired of being in the coop (she lived in a barn before), so, we gave her a box with one side cut off for her to lay in. She doesn't seem to be eager to lay there, either. I'm hoping she'll get the idea soon and start laying. I don't think we could get rid of her even if she never lays for us. My husband and my dog (and I) love her! She has so much personality. :)

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They sure can grow on ya, My muscovies just lay inside the coop in a corner, their are nest boxes on the floor and up about 3 ft. but they prefer to lay in a corner. It maybe she just needs to get more accustomed to where she is now, try to not over due on the corn it will make her fat and then she could have laying problems because of that. Sounds to me she just needs to settle in a little more. Also can she get into a nest where a chicken has laid an egg, mine will do that once in a while lay in a nest where an egg has already been laid.

5. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    I got my first khaki campbells last spring, so I'm fairly new.. but one thing I've learned is that they will lay eggs where they want and not necessarily where you want.
    I had a nice box for mine to lay in, and kept checking for eggs. Was disappointed to never find them in the box.
    Then, while cleaning up a little around the feed bins, I happened to come across 5 eggs that were burried down under the hay that had fallen behind the bins. [​IMG]
    If there is any other place that looks comfy, I'd check there too.
    And I agree with Miss Lydia about getting settled. We brought home 3 mature chickens one time that were laying every day, but when they got here they held out for a week before they were comfortable enough to start again.
    Keep us posted.

6. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Thanks! I'll update when I've got a pretty egg to show you! :)

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Did she ever lay? Your post reads almost exactly like what my experience is. I bought two, they were laying daily and have now stopped cold.

I'm disappointed that you never updated this. I hope this doesn't mean you never got an egg!!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd also be interested in if she ever found out who stole her chicks.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My Khaki's have stopped laying and are molting. They were born January 2012, so could your girl be molting as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by