1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why isnt my little duck peeping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lloydina379, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lloydina379

lloydina379 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    I have Indian Runner ducks and this is the first time I have tryed to hatch their eggs. I had two to start with but one dyed at day ten. The other one is fine. I candled it every day until the 25 day. On the 27 day it piped and broke into the air sac, then it slightly cracked the shell, not quite breaking through the membrain. After 24 hours had passed I broke away some shell and broke through the membrain, thinking it would sufficate! There was no blood, but instead the little duck had his beak right there! Facinated, kept peeling away the shell, and then it hit me, Why isnt my duck peeping? Now the hole is the size of a dime and the little duck is in there wiggling around. I can see his head and beak and he still has membrain covering him. Today is the 29 day and i am worried. We have humidity but not a gauge, And I have misted him a lot...... Tell me, should I help him out, or wait? Oh, and he also opens his mouth a lot like he his yawning so I give him water and he drinks it off a q tip. Please, help me!!! Thanks

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    i would very slowly remove shell but no membrane. keep him super moist (meaning humidity) as high as you can get it. peep to him and see if he responds. keep me posted.

3. lloydina379

lloydina379 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Thank you, but I am afraid I got this too late:( We helped him hatch, and then he was doing fine, but he didnt make it through the night....... I am so sad!

4. lloydina379

lloydina379 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    the momma duck hatched her eggs so we have 2 ducklings! My turkey killed 2 when they hatched, one died, and then the other one just didn't hach... so we only have 2 out of the original 6.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by