Why isn't my narrgansett hen sitting?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lifes Journey, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Lifes Journey

Lifes Journey Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2015
    My narrgansett hen laid her first egg about a week ago. She's had a total of 5 in a week and a half but is not setting on them. Does that mean the eggs aren't any good? And should I take them from her? Or will she start sitting once she thinks her clutch is big enough? Thank you in advance.

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Not all hens are interested in being broody. Does she just lay the egg and walk away, or does she come back, roll them around, guard them from you, etc? If she doesn't act broody you may as well collect them for incubation. I assume you have a tom with her?

3. Lifes Journey

Mar 9, 2015
    Yes, she just lays them and leaves and doesnt try protecting them at all. We do have a Tom in there with her. So does that mean the eggs are fertile? Sorry these are our first turkeys. Thank you for your response :)

4. Lifes Journey

Mar 9, 2015
    This is also her first time laying she's around a year old. Since she's not going broody now does that mean she won't go broody in the future either? Thanks

5. VikkiP

VikkiP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Walnut Hill Farm, MI
    The eggs should be fertile, if your tom is doing his job too.

Just because she isn't broody now doesn't mean she won't go broody next month or next year. Narragansetts in general are known for their good mothering capability.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lifes Journey

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you :).....I think we need to invest in an incubator until she decides she's ready

7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Where are you? I'd be happy to "adopt" them as I already have an incubator up and running, or incubate them for you if you are nearby. I'm in SE Michigan.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. Lifes Journey

Mar 9, 2015
    I'm in pa we went a bought an incubator lastnight so hopefully we can hatch them. We just put them in maybe an hour ago. Thank you though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by