Why isn't my rooster fertilising the eggs??

Mursal Mirza

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm new to BYC and chickens.
So my question is why isn't my rooster fertilising the eggs? Well technically he is fertilising them but not frequently as I recently had three chicks hatch out of 9 EGGS!
Does this matter on the breed? If yes then he's a 1.8 month old buff Cochin. And btw I only have 3 hens(most of my hens catches some disease and died ) so I'm not sure it has anything to do with "too many hens." And also he tries to mate with my silkie (who is way bigger than a bantam hen and a little smaller than a standard chicken) but he just tries mating and gives up :/

Thanks in advance everyone

Maybe the hens are avoiding him for some reason? Are they free ranging so that they could escape his advances? Three hens isn't too many for one rooster. Maybe he is just mating with his favorite hen? Does he have a favorite?

He did try mating the silkie but he couldn't reach the part that his tail is supossed to touch( you know what I mean if u know how their mating works)which is a seird considering his size and hers

Maybe you could check some fresh eggs for the telltale white bullseye and check his fertility there. Collect your eggs and carefully break them in a bowl one by one to inspect the yolk.

Back
Top Bottom