Why isnt she going broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digginchicks, Feb 2, 2009.

1. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I have a black austrolorp hen that jumped in the roos pen as I was watering him, so i decided to let her hatch them

She has laid 5 eggs since then and only sits on them throughout the night. I dont think they are going to hatch since she isn't sittting on them all of the time. [​IMG]

Is there any way that they might hatch????

2. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    No, I wouldn't think so. It's ok for them to get off the nest for a little while a day, to eat and take care of business, but not the whole day. I wish I could send you a broody. I've got about 10 that are broody right now. [​IMG]

Paula

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    off the top of my head I would say she is not broody yet.. If she were really broody, she would stop laying eggs..

then again, she might be GOING broody., and she might be stock-piling eggs first.. just let her do her thing and do not collect the eggs.. it might take her two weeks to lay all the eggs she wants to set.

if and when she decides to set, you will know.. and believe it or not, all the eggs will hatch at the same time..

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not all hens will sit and hatch. Some hens never go broody in their lifetime.

5. digginchicks

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    she has been laying a egg a day and if it takes two weeks she isnt going to be able to sit on them at all.

I have a golden laced wyandotte that tries to sit on all the eggs everyday do you think she would sit on them [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sitting on the eggs periodically during the day is not broody. Hens will sit on eggs left in a nest because something instinctual tells them they should. It doesn't mean they want to hatch them or will hatch them.

If she was broody she would tight most of the day. She would be moody, growling and most likely thinking about biting you if you got near her and her eggs.

Again - some hens NEVER brood chicks. They don't have the instict to do so.

7. digginchicks

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Oh alright so how long can I wait to put all of the eggs in the incubator. I only have the one hen laying fertile eggs and I dont just want 5 eggs in the incubator

Is it true you can only wait 3 days or so before they go bad or is that just in the summer. It is always below freezing now so I'm not sure

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can collect eggs for 10 - 14 days. After that the fertility and viability goes down quickly.

9. digginchicks

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Okay so tonight I think I will go and collect the eggs she has laid so far and then put my rooster with her again

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:If your rooster is not with her, just eat those eggs.. put the rooster with her and start from scratch..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by