Why isn't she taking all of the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 9, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I gave my broody silkie 8 eggs today. She took 4 under her but left 4. I placed them right in front of her. Normally, she always steals eggs the second she can so I'm confused. [​IMG]

Should I have waited until night time to give them to her? I went back out after awhile and just lifted her up and put them under her. Is there anything else I should do? Anyone know why she wouldn't have taken them all?

Barb

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    What size eggs did you place beside her? I would of placed all the eggs under her. In my experiece though a hen is gonna do what a hen wants to do. I read about a man that placed 3 turkey and some chickens eggs under a banty broody and she hatched them all so the size shouldn't matter if there isn't too many egg.

Is she still keeping the eggs under her? Like I said before a hen is gonna do what she wants to do. Good luck. Let us know what happened and of cource we want pics after the hatch! [​IMG]

3. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:I gave her silkie eggs.

I stuck the eggs under her, and last I checked, she had left them under her. They seem like they are in the same position I put them in. The tips are peaking out. Is that normal, or should she be covering them all?

barb

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    It may be too many for her. I've given mine 6 on 3 occasions now. They seem to kick out at least 2 each time.

The 2 they've kicked one each time were early highly porous, or when I cracked them they were unfertilized. Its like they just KNEW?!?!?!

They have also kicked out others that have stopped development half way through. There are some super smart chicks. Just wait it out a day or 2 and see if she keeps kicking them out or she finally gets comfortable.

5. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:I gave her silkie eggs.

I stuck the eggs under her, and last I checked, she had left them under her. They seem like they are in the same position I put them in. The tips are peaking out. Is that normal, or should she be covering them all?

barb

If some of the eggs are not totally covered than don't worry. Mama hens are amazing and they know what they are doing. They move the eggs around during the day so the eggs will get the proper heat. You have to think the hens want there babies to hatch. Mothers instinct I guess. I once had a game bird sitting on 19 eggs and I was thinking "no way" but 17 hatched. Another time it was 17 degrees out and I didn't hold out much hope but most of those eggs hatched to. Just let the mama hen do her thing, they do it well. [​IMG] Good luck and we will all want to see pics.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I have two that are broody now. One will only take about 2-3 unless I stick them under her while the other will try to sit on all ten! There is five under each hen.

7. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:Shoot, I would've given her less if I had known. i figured 8 was "safe".

Is it normal to see some of the eggs peaking out from under her? Or should she be totally covering them?

Barb

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio

Is it normal to see some of the eggs peaking out from under her? Or should she be totally covering them?

Barb

I think thats a safe bet. Some hens are better moms than others. You can clearly see the difference between mine when they're next to each other.

9. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.

Barb

Your eggs will be fine, the mama hen knows what she is doing. [​IMG]

10. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

i got one that has 12 under her now. i did not put any under her. she even got some of my EE eggs under her some how

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by