why isn't this chicken show quality?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by loveourbirds, Nov 18, 2013.

1. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    just an idea i had to help people with breeding. i know i can learn more from pictures than reading the standard of perfection, and i feel there are several more of you out there like me.

so, if you have a chicken you would like to know more about. post its picture and let the "experts" tell you how to improve your line. when adding a picture, please include the breed, where you got the chicken from (if known), and age.

when replying to a picture, please quote so we can see what chicken you are talking about.

i'll start with this picture:
    [​IMG]
    lemon cuckoo cochin bantam, about 10 months old. purchased at chicken show (unknown breeder).

i dont like his comb, but would like to hear other input.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You may get better responses if you post in the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section of the Forum

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    ^ X2.

But what I can say is that this bird doesn't have very good type. Cochins are supposed to be quite round, with high cushions.

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i put it here so we could talk about corrective breeding too, i thought that was part of flock management. i want to help people know what to cull from their flocks.

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by