why isn't this chicken show quality?

loveourbirds

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
waverly ohio
just an idea i had to help people with breeding. i know i can learn more from pictures than reading the standard of perfection, and i feel there are several more of you out there like me.

so, if you have a chicken you would like to know more about. post its picture and let the "experts" tell you how to improve your line. when adding a picture, please include the breed, where you got the chicken from (if known), and age.

when replying to a picture, please quote so we can see what chicken you are talking about.

i'll start with this picture:

lemon cuckoo cochin bantam, about 10 months old. purchased at chicken show (unknown breeder).

i dont like his comb, but would like to hear other input.

I don't have my Standard up here by my computer, but I don't believe Lemon Cuckoo is an accepted color at this stage of the game. That would be your first issue.

Secondly, the type on this bird is not ideal. Cochins are very low to the ground and rounded, this bird is very upright.

I am guessing he is a crossbred with some other sort of chicken, perhaps a Maran?

This is what I'd want to see when I look at a Cochin bantam: http://bantamclub.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=45

I don't have my Standard up here by my computer, but I don't believe Lemon Cuckoo is an accepted color at this stage of the game. That would be your first issue.

Secondly, the type on this bird is not ideal. Cochins are very low to the ground and rounded, this bird is very upright.

I am guessing he is a crossbred with some other sort of chicken, perhaps a Maran?

This is what I'd want to see when I look at a Cochin bantam: http://bantamclub.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=45
i agree with the type issue, though part if it is the way i stood him for the picture, he is much more rounded now. im sure there is some crossbreeding to create the coloration. im not an expert on genetics but im guessing crossing barred and buff would be the long around on creating the breed.

this is great information, please keep it up!

please keep in mind that i do not show my chickens, but i do sell to some people who do show. that is part of the reason for me making this thread. i have a standard of perfection, but sometimes its easier to see a picture and describe the problems.

the bird in your link does have nice type, i recommend anyone wondering how a cochin should be shaped to look at that link.

ok we've went quiet, ill post another picture.

brassy blue old english game bantam cockerel, about 1 year in picture. breeder is unknown.

the main issue i see is the chicken is undubbed. it does carry good lacing in the breast, though i couldn't find a good breast shot. spurs are set low, toes good and straight since they aren't in the picture.

So I don't have much experience with showing chickens and I'm not posting about that (although I am subscribed so I can learn!), but I'm posting about your 'lemon cuckoo' cochin bantam up there. I THINK (the picture is a little dark so it's hard to tell) what he really is is a buff barred, which is a project color some breeders (including me!) have been working on. If that's the case, there was no crossbreeding to create the color, he just has type issues.

So I don't have much experience with showing chickens and I'm not posting about that (although I am subscribed so I can learn!), but I'm posting about your 'lemon cuckoo' cochin bantam up there. I THINK (the picture is a little dark so it's hard to tell) what he really is is a buff barred, which is a project color some breeders (including me!) have been working on. If that's the case, there was no crossbreeding to create the color, he just has type issues.
i had never heard of lemon barred - but if i understand the difference you would be right. before i explain, i was told lemon cuckoo by the breeder.

i always understood that cuckoo pattern was split at the color shaft, kind of making a checkerboard pattern. on these chickens the white goes straight across, a true barred pattern.

Sounds like you have a buff barred boy. The color was created by crossing black barred Cochin with buff barred Cochin so there was no breeding with other breeds to get the color. These birds have their own thread with lots of pictures - you should check it out and see if that's what you have!

Back
Top Bottom