Why lock them up?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jenny4749, May 9, 2016.

1. jenny4749

jenny4749 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Michigan
    We don't have chickens yet just ducks. Our enclosure will have a secure roof and have fence dug under about a foot down and out. Will we still have to lock them in their house at night?

2. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    If your run is secure, than theoretically, no. I lock my chickens up in their coop and my ducks stay in the run at night simply because the ducks torment and bother my hens...so I want my chickens to get some "quiet time" and not worry about being bothered by my big, dumb ducks.

1 person likes this.
  3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If your run has 1/2" hardware cloth as does your coop, then your run is as secure as the coop. But if your run has "chicken wire" of the 1" or 2" type, it is not nearly as secure and they'd be better of locked up in the coop.

4. jenny4749

jenny4749 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Michigan
    It has hardware cloth. Thanks.

5. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I would lock them up if I were you. You may not have trouble with predators, but if you do, you'll wish you had locked them up. I don't know what animals live in your area, but to be cautious, you may want to lock them up. [​IMG]

6. Aquarices

Aquarices Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    I agree with pdirt, if your run is hardware cloth secured then you are good to go. If you are the worry type then lock them up for double security, I don't though.

7. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I would say it depends on predators in your area and what your run is made of. A determined dog can get through hardware cloth. It will however deter most less determined animals. I live in an urban area and my run is made of 2x4 welded wire fencing. I added chicken wire around the lower portion to keep the chickens from sticking their heads out, not to keep anything from getting in. Learned that one the hard way. I'm going to blame the dog as she should have kept other animals out of the yard. She has lived in the yard outside the run for 2 years before I lost one chicken. I never locked mine in the coop in a secure run.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Ask yourself "is the run as secure as the coop?"

If yes, what's the point of locking them up?

Mine is, ...and I don't.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. doglover1

doglover1 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2016
    Canada
    If you have a secure coop you can lock them up in why not keep them safe and stress free?

10. Aquarices

Aquarices Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    I personally don't lock my chickens in the coop because I can't always remember to let them out in the early morning. The run is secure enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by