Why must they brood in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Year of the Rooster, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I've been away at college for the past couple months and just returned home for Christmas break (yay [​IMG] ) Anyway... it's been almost two weeks since I was last home for Thanksgiving. Back then I noticed my dad hadn't been paying much attention to collecting eggs and one hen was sitting on eight. Luckily, none were developing. Now I just looked for eggs tonight, and out of fourteen eggs, ten were developing between two hens [​IMG] And looks like they are all around a week into incubation, give or take a day. I'm not mad at him... but it's such a pain that my Silkies decide to go broody in the winter [​IMG]

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:They cant help it. Its there gift to the holidays. [​IMG] My silkie is going broodie atm and is screaming at anyone that moves in the coop atm. [​IMG] Im like dior, you understand that you are a bantam and most of the others are LF and my brahmas could sit on you and you would be no more. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:They cant help it. Its there gift to the holidays. [​IMG] My silkie is going broodie atm and is screaming at anyone that moves in the coop atm. [​IMG] Im like dior, you understand that you are a bantam and most of the others are LF and my brahmas could sit on you and you would be no more. [​IMG]

Actually, now that I think about it... I might have some Christmas babies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

Actually, now that I think about it... I might have some Christmas babies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL YAY

5. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Well hey, it's winter. What ELSE are they supposed to do? [​IMG]

PS - You're lucky you've got chicks on the way. Some of us still have to wait a bit for such things! Oh, the travesty......

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I guess you could call it lucky [​IMG] I'm excited for the little fluffy butts, but it's just so inconvenient right now [​IMG]

How come you have to wait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by