Why my baby chicken are not growing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lufalcoa, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Lufalcoa

Lufalcoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    My baby chicken (galeeny breed) are almost 2 months old and she don't develop like her sister (same breed). She eats and moves like any other, but she is weaker and their feathers are fragile.

Here is some picture of her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here, a picture from her sister (same age):

[​IMG]

Thank you! And sorry if the post is repeated, I could not find the same subject in the forum.

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Runts seem to be more common than people think. I had one in my group of chicks. She was literally a quarter the size of the others from the same hatch. And it certainly wasn't because she didn't eat! She was always first to the dish and would just stand under the bigger chicks and eat if she had to.

I ended up giving her to someone else on the forum, and that person had a runt her most recent batch of chicks, too. He was barely feathered at all when all his hatchmates were fully feathered and he was much smaller than the others.

1 person likes this.
  3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with HighStreetCoop your chick looks like a runt. If you have checked her for worms, lice, mites and the common things and still don't see any issues I would lean toward the runt. We raised a few BA and one was twice the size as the other one. They all turned out fine in the end.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lufalcoa

Lufalcoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Oh, I did not know that runts chicken exists! [​IMG]So, it's not that bad as I thought...

Today was the first day she managed to climb on the perch (40 cm high), I was so happy to see her achievement [​IMG]!

Thank you very much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by