Why my chicks do this sound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunsetMeadow, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SunsetMeadow

SunsetMeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    I'm worried about them, I've never raised chickens before, I'm new, but it looks like they make a "spit sound" but they don't spit anything, also the younger one, sits a lot of timen while others are eating, (but she does eat) please help, is this normal?

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    We'd love to try to help, but could you provide us with more information?

How many chickens? How old are they? When do they make this sound? What are they doing when they make the sound? Do they all do it? If not, how many do it?

What are they eating at the time you hear the sound? Do they act like they're in distress?

Are these chickens laying hens? Have they stopped laying eggs?

Anything else you can tell us might help us help you.

3. SunsetMeadow

Jan 16, 2014
    They're three but I've only seen two of them made them, they're around 2/3 weeks old, they don't make the sound when they're eating, and they look calm, they don't lay eggs since they are young.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do they make this sound constantly? At certain times of the day? Is it associated with anything else they're doing?

Are the chicks eating regularly? Are they pooping? How do their butts look? Is there any crusted poop built up? Do you actually see them drinking water?

Are they running around or just lying down sleeping more than they should?

We aren't there to observe your chicks and to see what they're doing. You need to draw as complete a picture as possible. Lots and lots of details so we can build a picture in our minds.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto, I'm trying to imagine this sound. I've never heard my chickens make a spit sound. They purr, growl, chirp and make all kinds of other strange noises, but I can't recall one like that.

If you pick one up and listen to its breathing, does it sound off? Like is there any clicking, wheezing or grumbling? Runny eyes or noses? Excessive sneezing?

6. SunsetMeadow

Jan 16, 2014
    They do run, and drink water, their breathing sounds normal as I know

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, from what you say, it sounds like you have three normal baby chicks. As long as they're running around, eating, drinking, and pooping with no pasty butts, and they sleep as often as babies are supposed to sleep, you should try not to worry. If something serious should be wrong, you will know it.

8. SunsetMeadow

Jan 16, 2014
    Thank you [​IMG] I was really worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by