Why no citrus?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tlagnhoj, Mar 20, 2012.

1. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    Most of the foods on the do-not-eat list have a reason for it. But the citrus didn't. I was just wondering what about citrus is bad for the birds.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I think it has something to do with calcium absorption- not sure, they don
    t like it anyway as I have citrus trees around and they ignore the fruits and leaves.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Citrus fruits contain limonin, which is toxic to poultry.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

5. griffinkid02

griffinkid02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Mine won't eat citrus anyway. I frequently raid the compost bucket for chickie treats and occasionally end up with a grapefruit peel in the henpen, they profoundly ignore it....

6. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    hmm...and i have been giving mine bad oranges for a wile now. Just one sliced up every now and then. They ignore the rind and go for the flesh
    Seedless oranges

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mine have been eating citrus for years with no bad results. Mine love the grapefruit that falls to the ground, and the meyer lemons. When we had orange trees, they would eat ornges as well--which is more than I can say for us, becuase we wouldn't (they were not very good--one tree's fruit was always nearly bone dry and the other one was not very sweet)..

8. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I live in Florida as well and have citrus trees. My girls like an orange occasionally but seem not to prefer them as regular treats. They don't like grapefruit at all. If they want it, they eat it; if they don't it goes in the compost pile.

9. lisascenic

lisascenic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I believe this is also toxic to humans, but you'd have to ingest massive quantities to do any harm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by