Why No Egg Song? Will They Ever Learn?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hen-thusiast, Sep 9, 2009.

1. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    We have eight hens that are 24 weeks of age, of the eight, seven are laying. The first started around 18 weeks and they have all been laying for at least two to three weeks. Two or three times our EE did the egg song, but randomly like when she was free ranging, not after laying. That was a good month ago, nothing since. Our SLW made the song when she was eating once or twice. Again, nothing for at least a couple of weeks.

Here's my question. Will our ladies ever learn the egg song? [​IMG]

I really like the song and wish they would. Maybe someone can send me a recording of one and I can keep playing it to them until they learn it. [​IMG]

2. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    At least you have eggs. I just have a bunch of freeloaders! [​IMG]

My millies, silkies & dorkings are about 24 weeks, and nothing yet...

I heard what I thought was an egg song but it was coming from a roo... maybe he's a little confused, maybe roo's go through the sympathy thing when the hens are getting ready... [​IMG] I just wish sombody would give me one egg. [​IMG]

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I am jealous of you... my prior flock wouldnt shut up [​IMG]

At least now tho, out of the two we have left from the original flock, the one hen is pretty quiet. She lays her egg and thats it lol no noise

I am hoping that the little ones we have now learn by example lol

I dont mind the egg song now and again but at times omg

4. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    How about getting the egg song but no eggs? That's what mine are doing, several are singing.....my silkie's broody but not laying, the BO's are only 17 weeks. I'm patiently waiting [​IMG]
    The roos - 1 silkie and 5 BO's - are all crowing. Now I'm starting to watch personalities much closer to decide who goes to the freezer![​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Kat'sChicks :

How about getting the egg song but no eggs? That's what mine are doing, several are singing.....my silkie's broody but not laying, the BO's are only 17 weeks. I'm patiently waiting [​IMG]
    The roos - 1 silkie and 5 BO's - are all crowing. Now I'm starting to watch personalities much closer to decide who goes to the freezer![​IMG]

My sex link did the egg song every morning at 6:30. I think she figured out if she sang, I'd come running (which I did) and they always got let out.​

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    My hens do it for no reason! And they absolutely SCREAM it! I love them anyway. I think it is actually pretty obnoxious.

7. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Trust me, I thought it was cute at first but now, OMG, it's sooo loud. I can't believe all the noise is coming from my ladies. They won't shut up![​IMG]

8. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    I love the egg song, just love it. Maybe you just have a quiet bunch. Some of my ladies sing others do not. I have one very petite EE that lays a very petite egg and quietly goes on her way while the other EE will sing for up to a half hour after she lays! I just love it. [​IMG]

9. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are almost 18 weeks! I cant WAAAAIT! this is my first batch! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Skamaghetten

Skamaghetten Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Suburb Maryland
    I just got my first egg a hour ago, there was no egg song or egg squat. I guess mine are just too modest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by