Why no eggs yet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NottinghamChicks, Nov 1, 2010.

1. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I bought these chicks in June [​IMG] and so they are 5 months old now and still no eggs. When they were babies they were eating medicated chick starter, then to regular crumbles and have been on egg maker crumbles for approx two months, maybe less. No eggs yet . Did I make a mistake by not putting them on "grower" feed for a period of time? I also give them regular pellets, oats, craked corn, meal worms, kitchen scraps, and they free ranged all summer. What gives?? [​IMG]

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably just need a few more weeks but they shouldn't be on layer until they lay. I only recently learned this so am passing on my new knowledge.

3. liz_s

liz_s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    I posted yesterday that I have two seven month-old hens that have yet to lay. I think they just mature on their own time, and a more seasoned chicken owner was saying that it's likely that genes have something to do with it. He assured me, though, that they will start laying when they are ready! My other hen lays like it's her job, and she's been doing so since she was about 5 months old. I was worried about food too, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference. It's all about their biology, and like us human ladies, I figure some mature later than others. I hope they come soon for you!

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    If it makes you feel any better, I still have two April chicks that aren't laying yet. The other 3 just started laying within the last two weeks.

5. ductmate

ductmate Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    rochester
    five may 2010 hens here. only 1 laying all have full combs and wattles bright red faces all from the same bunch of chicks .i got my first egg on 10/23/10 and it has been 1 egg a day from the same hen still waiting on the other 4 hens
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by