Why no eggs??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I was always getting a solid 2-3 eggs a day out of my hens.. Then they just stopped. And my newest birds out there are turning 6 weeks old Tomorrow. Yet, I haven't gotten any eggs in 2 or 3 weeks.. Whats the deal? They are getting artificial light. I've got a halogen light out there, it keeps them warm and it thaws their water.

And the hens stopped laying BEFORE I moved the new birds out.????

I did change their food. But again, that was after they'd already stopped laying.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Since you did change the food after the stopped laying eggs, you may see a longer delay in getting eggs, if that makes sense. Sometimes hens will just take a break abruptly.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Alot of time my button females will just stop laying for a few weeks then start up again.
    Hope yours start laying again soon. [​IMG]

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    If you figure it out let me know. I can't stop mine from laying and I want them to take a break. I am taking down thier tarps tomorrow. Probabbly stop laying then.

Make sure they have enough calcium, by supplementing. Looks to me that most feeds don't have enough calcium in them for long term laying.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I think..if you put some fake eggs or blow some button eggs out and leave them in your pen. I think they stop laying. It might be worth a try. [​IMG]

I haven't ever tryed it...but

6. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    You know I don't have Buttons, your just trying to sell me or get me to get some Buttons. But it might work, never know with these quail.

Wait a minute ssbs should try that to see if that will prompt them to start layin again. Kind of a remember these, these are what you are supposed to be dropping, not just the other. Like she said, worth a try.

7. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    I thought I'd mention.. My hens are 5 months old now, not sure if that could have anything to do with it [​IMG]

I don't have any eggs to give them.. I had 11 in the fridge. But I actually cracked them about 5 minutes ago for my ferrets.. They weren't enough for me to cook for myself, so I figured I'd just get rid of them.. I know where I can buy some, they are at an oriental market, but I'd be scared of them making my birds sick.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Leaving Eggs, Real Or Artifical Will Not Start Them Laying Again, If Anything You May Make 1 Or 2 Broody And Further Delay Production. Also The Real Eggs Laying There All The Time May Start A Bout Of Egg Eating Which Is Very Bad... Speaking Of Egg Eating, Are You Absolutely Sure They Arent Suddenly Eating The Eggs? Once They StART Ime Only Death Cures Them Of It, And They Will Teach The Behavior To Any Other Coturnix Within Sight! Have They Molted Recently? Perhaps They Are Getting Ready To Molt? Often Times That Throws A Kink In Laying Rates For A While...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  9. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    That's what I was thinking, getting ready to molt. OR (added: could be stopping lay due to a slow molt because of the cold).

Don't know where. But melting ice in waterers, maybe they aren't able to get enough water for themselves and making eggs?
    If in the far north could be a reason.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  10. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm sure they aren't eating eggs.. There was one egg in the cage that I hadn't bothered collecting for over a week, because I knew it would be frozen and no good for eating.. It remained in there until I tossed it to one of my dogs..

Molting, maybe? I haven't noticed a lot of feathers out there, but the wind has been pretty bad and probably carried them off.. I have noticed that my hens previously bald necks are now feathered.. Does that mean they recently molted?

As far as the water goes.. I went a few days with just thawing it out once a day, but now the light keeps it thawed. So they get all they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by