WHY NO LIKEY HENHOUSE?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkieRaiser, Oct 10, 2016.

1. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    HI,
    My chickens refuse to go up into the henhouse to sleep on their roosts in the night. We have to carry them up, and then they happily huddle up all together ON THE FLOOR. [​IMG]They're supposed to sleep on the sticks right? They are only a few months old but still. But even that's not the main problem. They won't go up the ramp. Only one of them will go up but only if we put about four pounds of treats on the ramp and in the henhouse. Why are my chickens so stubborn!?! Please tell me how to get them to at least go up their ramp and maybe how to get them to roost on their sticks too. Please help!

2. samanthaacbrown

samanthaacbrown Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    N. Georgia
    Lol!!! Can you change what kind of stick they are on? My girls aren't picky but I recently adopted 4 older chickens and I havent figured them out yet. I'm going to get larger dowel rods tomorrow to see if that works!

3. silkieRaiser

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    Do you mean like for the ramp or the roost? (we put sticks on the ramp)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. silkieRaiser

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    The sticks might also be a little small. They are 3-10 mm in diameter. Also, I put water seal on the ramp and the sticks on the ramp so maybe the ramp is slippery but idk.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  5. samanthaacbrown

samanthaacbrown Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    N. Georgia
    Is the opening where they could fly up into it? They might not feel steady on the ramp but might jump right in!

6. silkieRaiser

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    kind of.... they could, but would have to step onto the ramp and then take like 2 steps. My girls don't really fly much either, they mostly just jump and flap their wings. They have walked up the ramp when we've blocked them a few times but then at first chance jump off.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]
    I have a chicken named Pika. [​IMG]

They might just be a little young still. [​IMG] If you just be consistent about trying to get them on there, they will get the hint. I use a 2 x 4 turned on it's flat side for roosting, seems to work fine.

I don't recommend 4 pounds of treats as it can hinder proper nutrition..... but have you tried mealworms? Those are usually a fave. My younger chicks that aren't used to getting treats don't respond as much at first but once they figure it our they are all over it. Also, I put the most adventurous of the group on the ramp to get the idea, maybe mid way up several times and different heights. Maybe on separate days even. It usually takes 1 week or a little longer of being persistent for us and they start getting it. It won't be long before the instinct to get as high as possible kicks in.

Good luck!

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

It's OK for them to jump off. Just keep it up. [​IMG]

9. silkieRaiser

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    I was exaggerating about the treats but I'll work on getting them up there on their own. Thank you!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can you post pictures of your coop, including inside so we can see the roosts?

How many birds do you have and what breeds are they? And how old are they? 2 months, 6 months?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by