Why no peeps in second hatch .....see notes on ottom of page. please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bargain, Jan 26, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have about 40 babies running around the brooder part of my used wooden incubator (cabinet) I got for christmas.

First one hatched out on Friday about 2:00 pm.

When is the latest that I can take them out and put in separate brooder with food and water. We are still hatching out and I don't want to kill any of these. Another option is that I could put the pipped ones in a stryofoam really quickly.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I am not totally sure, but I believe once they are all dry they can be moved to the draft free brooder.

Good Luck!

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Chicks can remain quite healthy and happy for up to 3 days in the bator. Then it is time to introduce them to food and water.

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    If they began Friday, they will need food and water today. Today being day four. If you have others hatching still you do not want to open the bator though because it will suck out your humidity and the membrane can constrict around the babies. How many more are in there? Any change in humidity can be bad. Putting the pips in another bator would still remove them from the humidity they need. Can you say rock and hard place? They really are staggered. We need to hear from a hatching pro!! Please keep me updated!!! jeanmarie

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    IF you reach in real quick and grab the dry ones and then put a wet sponge or something in there to replace lost humidity or something. and if you need help with stuck chicks I would be the person to ask. [​IMG]

6. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Only one hatched Friday ....An early one and the majority came in late evening.

I'm going to quick grab a majority of them and do the trick on the sponge.

These are in a cabinet and they jump over the edge of the brooder tray and scoot under it so this will be one crazy rescue.

I'll keep you posted thanks. Nancy

7. sewincircle

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Nancy, whats the word? Any new babies? How did the resue go?
    [​IMG] I am waiting for updates. Best of luck to you.

8. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hatch is going soooo great. 48 of the 70 have been moved to independ ent brooder with heat lamp - very healthy...Looks like 8-10 more babies (getting foggy in there) and eggs are still pipping...I'll post pics this pm....

Thanks to all that helped!

I've decided to sell some of the baby chicks and am getting calls all ready.....But you better believe I'm keeping some too!

9. sewincircle

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    That is great! A wonderful hatch!! Did I ask what kind they all are?
    I am very happy that you are having such a successful hatch. [​IMG]
    Cant wait to see the pictures![​IMG]

10. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    the hatch was buff orpington, white leghorn, brown mahogany rir (not production),
    speckled sussex, and barred rock....

I'm coming on hatch #2 from the cabinet now and worried,,,,,No pips and its day 21....I wonder what's up. I didn't candle when I moved them down to the brooder. I wonder if the higher humidity during the first hatch out killed them.....Anythoughts.

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by