Why not to blindly trust digital thermometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jarhead, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thought you guys might like this, and maybe can use this to your advantage. Clockwise from top left, from a pet store, a weather unit from hardware store, and one from a electronics store. All the probes are next to each other in the exact same spot. In the morning I am going to go buy a scientific glass thermometer and see which is the most accurate or if they are all garbage.

[​IMG]
    I know it's blurry, but they read 97.2, 98.2, 91.8

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Eeek! I got digital hygrometers from Strombergs that I really like...

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Hey I love that you started this thread! I got a coralife from my fish store because they said they did a test and it was the most accurate. Later I got another one on line and put them right next to each other and they were different! I went by the higher one because heat scares me. sometimes they are the same so I don't know what that's about but my hatch rate went way up when I got the first one so I go by it. Now if I can just get the humidity thing worked out I will be good!!

The Walmart indoor/outdoor will read different on the same thermometer right next to each other.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I actually bought three from the drug store and two hygrometer/thermometer units from Walmart. I put all five in the heated up incubator and then compared the temps. I figured the mercury thermometer to be the most accurate and so calibrated them all off that one. There was a 5 degree spread of temps. Now the incubator units are marked with the discrepancy so I can accurately tell.

You need to check humidity too. When I calibrated that part I discovered a 7% difference there.
    [​IMG]

5. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Yeah in the beginning I just thought the one that came with the bater was ok, but since nothing hatched and I found BYC I realized there was more to it than just trusting what came with the incubator. There is a real learning curve and nothing is as easy as it sounds. I still hate the whole humidity thing. You have to think about the type of chicken and whether you're in the desert (we almost are - might as well be) still working on it.

6. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    Glad you started this thread. I have an Acurite digital and I calibrated the humidity in a salt bag and found it was 11% off. And no way to adjust it. The only true way of getting an accurate reading is to do a wet bulb/dry bulb double reading and calculating the results.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Yup the most accurate is the old fashioned glass kinds. I put 2 I found in an old medicine drawer in there. They read the same, and the most accurate digital of the bunch is the weather one from Lowes. It is about a half degree high, and seems not to fluctuate. The other 2 fluctuate alot and are way off.

wet bulb/dry bulb

That is the only really accurate way to calculate humidity, without spending a fortune on a truly calibrated digital, but it is a pain. By the way that device is actually called a psychrometer. Sounds like something a shrink would use [​IMG]

8. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    I went by the manual one in my bator this time. It was set, and stayed at about 99.5. I had the digital in there too so I could get humidity readings. The digital thermometer fluctuated from 95-90 throughout the incubation, while the manual one held steady. I won't go back to digital for temps. They're garbage.

9. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Great thread to read! So, basically, stick with the old-fashioned mercury thermometers, then?

~Cherlyn

10. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Back again to my original saying, "Dont you hate buying and paying for something, getting it and finding out that it doesnt work?"... When I buy something, I would like to get something that does work, that I dont have to spend time calibrating and then using it like that adding/subtracting to get a correct reading.

Or to keep going back using my time, and gas to return something...shame shame...

BUT!!!! We have become modern, and they tell us...THINGS ARE BETTER NOW!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by