Why not

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Nov 18, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I have 21 chickens who free range almost daily but recently we saw a huge population of ants pop up in the back yard. Do your chickens eat ants? Mine wouldnt touch them and I cant figure out why. They are just those little tiny buggers who love to come inside.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've had chickens clean out ant nests when I move a board eating the eggs/larvae but they ignore ants.

3. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Why is that I wonder. I want those ants killed

4. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Mine didn't eat eggs until the rooster came over and gave them the funny noise at to "Hey look, there's something good to eat". Then they went nuts over it.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I had a house chick that I would take out looking for bugs. She ate ants, and termites as well as other bugs. The down side was that my puppy ate them too (not the ants or termites just the other bugs) which made it hard for me to find bugs in the yard for treats or fishing.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They have a very acidic, lemony flavor (don't ask me how I know that). It could be that your birds tried them and didn't like the taste. Or, it could be that they don't recognize them as edible yet. My chickens do eat ants but they don't seem overly thrilled with them. I've also noticed that they will chow down a centipede but turn their beaks up at a harvestman. It would surely be a different situation if they weren't being free-fed chicken kibble.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    My chickens ignore ants too. The ones around here taste like black pepper. They definitely have a bite to them. (we tried them on a camping trip to amuse the kids one time [​IMG]) I'm guessing that the chickens don't like the piquantness of them.

8. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Forgot, if you want to get rid of them without using chemicals, try pouring dry cream of wheat on the nest. It makes them blow up.

9. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:How long was the camping trip, 6 months? Lol, or do you have teenagers and you were there for an hour?

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:Baking soda too, they hate that stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by