Why oh why? Brinsea temp fluctuations DAY 17!

Shannon's Chix

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
N.E. Florida
I have a Brinsea Octagon Eco, this is my first hatch. Temp stayed steady at 99.5 for 16 days, I maybe tweaked it a tiny bit a time or two...

All of a sudden yesterday I put in a bit of warm water (done this before, doing dry incubation) and the temp spikes to 101. I turn it down a tiny bit it drops to 98. After that, finally got it regulated for several hours before I went to bed.

Woke up this morning to temp of 98 again!
he.gif
There are really no temp fluctuations in the house, I have it in a very constant area.

Does anyone know why it would be acting up all of a sudden 2 days before lockdown? Any thoughts appreciated!
caf.gif

Brinseas are generally very stable incubators I have an octagon 20dx and it is very steady once settled after fiddling, how did you add the water? if you opened the bator it might have made the element heat up more to compensate once you closed it hence the spike, I now turn mine off if it is opened for any length of time and it quickly gets back up to temp, if you didn't open it perhaps the water was a bit too warm? it is now reading lower because you adjusted the temperature lower to compensate for the spike, mine reads between 37.4 during the night to 37.6 during the day when the heating is on in the house, it is always best not to touch the temp dial once incubation is under way but if you do only tweak it slightly.

On day 17, the egg is really filling up with chick. In all of my experiences, the closer you get to hatch, the hotter the bator gets. I would just advise to watch closely, and if you see the temps sitting at this high degree for too long, then it's time to turn it down a tad. 101 isn't really that hot, but keep an eye on it because I've seen mine swing to 103.

Back
Top Bottom