Why oh why do dogs do this?

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
The day before yesterday my 1 yr old cocker/terrier mix, Solomon, got out of the yard at work and licked up a bunch of grease from under the smoker (meat grease with spicy rub). I didn't know he had eaten that until he threw up in the car (which was very special
roll.png
sickbyc.gif
). He felt better after that. Well, this morning, the gate was accidently left open and he went right back to the gack. Licked up a whole bunch of it before he was caught in the act. Fearing a pancreatitis attack because of all that grease, I gave him 3cc hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit (not the first time I've had to do that - once he ate A LOT of chicken scratch). Worked like a charm - he puked about 10 minutes later. But why does he still want to eat that gack? Wouldn't you think that puking would register in his mind that eating that is not a good plan? I just don't get it.

Dogs do that because:

1. They can.

2. Because it smells good, they don't care about taste, texture, or appearance if it smells good.

3. It gets your attention.

Quote:
That almost happened in the car!
barnie.gif

I just don't see how something that made him sick enough to throw up - TWICE in 2 days - is still appealing to him!

it doesnt register to them that eating that stuff=puking since they happen seevral minutes apart it it was eat vomit i dubt they would continue

Get this... All dogs will eat horse, cow, sheep, etc. poo with great gusto !!! ( pre digested vegetable salad to them)

Back
Top Bottom