Why oh why do dogs do this?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, May 11, 2011.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    The day before yesterday my 1 yr old cocker/terrier mix, Solomon, got out of the yard at work and licked up a bunch of grease from under the smoker (meat grease with spicy rub). I didn't know he had eaten that until he threw up in the car (which was very special [​IMG] [​IMG] ). He felt better after that. Well, this morning, the gate was accidently left open and he went right back to the gack. Licked up a whole bunch of it before he was caught in the act. Fearing a pancreatitis attack because of all that grease, I gave him 3cc hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit (not the first time I've had to do that - once he ate A LOT of chicken scratch). Worked like a charm - he puked about 10 minutes later. But why does he still want to eat that gack? Wouldn't you think that puking would register in his mind that eating that is not a good plan? I just don't get it.

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Dogs do that because:

1. They can.

2. Because it smells good, they don't care about taste, texture, or appearance if it smells good.

3. It gets your attention.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You forgot #4

Because - if you are slow cleaning it up - they can always re-eat it after barfing [​IMG]

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:That almost happened in the car! [​IMG]
    I just don't see how something that made him sick enough to throw up - TWICE in 2 days - is still appealing to him!

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    the two things are not connected in his mind [​IMG]

6. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    it doesnt register to them that eating that stuff=puking since they happen seevral minutes apart it it was eat vomit i dubt they would continue

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Get this... All dogs will eat horse, cow, sheep, etc. poo with great gusto !!! ( pre digested vegetable salad to them)

8. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    My 2 dogs will go out and find the nastiest,stinkiest most god awful stuff(not really sure what it is)and roll in.Then come find me [​IMG].

9. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    and don't forget the all time favorite.............Kitty Treats fresh out of the litter box [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by