why oh why do they poo in their water dish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vnsseed, Apr 18, 2009.

1. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have a TSC chick waterer and my chicks are constantly pooing in their water and their kicking shavings in. Raising it up with a brick didn't work... heck one of them has decided to roost on the top of the bottle, can't figure out how she got up there.... they are only a week old! They are all perfectly healthy and vigorous... its just REALLY annoying
    [​IMG]

2. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    try to give them more room. mine keep doing that and i gave up and out they went to a bigger place.[​IMG]

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Some of the other put cones on top of the waterers and feeders to put a stop to the roosting. I have one that keeps trying to sleep in the food, not on top but in those little holes.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    you're lucky you don't have ducks! mine climb into their water and swim in it. GROSS!! they poop in their food too. i think they just like to do it to give us more work.

5. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, but I am not sure how much bigger... I have 12 chicks in a 4x4 by 2ft high brooder. Any bigger and it would be a coop!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Quote:I agree, thats exactly why they do it.

7. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    I read on here that the height of the waterer should be at the height of the chicks back.

I raised my waterer on a piece of wood and it helped the problem alot.

9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    our little stinkers did this too, so we raise the waterer so they stretch just a little to drink. and as far as getting shavings in the water, they may be dust bathing near it (that's where mine wanted to, right beside the water) and put something on top of the jar so they can't get up there. I had one or two that consistantly got on top to watch all the others, and then fall asleep and OPPs! the next thing ya know, poo in the water.

10. LaneRae

LaneRae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elkton, VA
    Oh My. Do you really have to sterilize the waterer 4 times a day? Are they that sensitive? I just wash and change the water daily and have them on tetracycline in the water. I would guess you are worried about coccidea right?

Alayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by