WHy, OH WHY?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momma's chickens, Oct 22, 2009.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    [​IMG] I have been having horrible hatch rates lately, like zero. I ordered eggs from RAREROO, he did a great job getting them here, most of them delevoped beautifully. I ran the Hovabator at 99.5 to 100 degrees as it is forced air with humidity between 30 and 50. When it dropped to 30, I would add water, candled they looked beautiful. Then because there was also duck eggs in there I moved them over to a still air LG at 101 to 102.5 degrees with humidity at 70 and they didn't hatch. They were all formed, completely formed and didn't hatch. The duck egg was suppose to hatch today, it didn't, I didn't wait, I opened it and it was dead, fully formed. Why are they forming but not hatching. When I candled three days ago, it was dancing in the shell. I have more duck eggs in there the Hovabator and they will hatch (I hope) in three weeks and they will hatch in the Hovabator because after this I am done hatching. This is devasting.

I have hatched before but also in the Hovabator, could it be the LG, which I borrowed or what????????

2. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG]
    sorry for your bad luck... I'm sure you are heartbroken. My recent hatch had 2 chicks that pipped then died. It's the first time happening.
    I found a good article(s) just yesterday that may answer our questions:

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/hatchmgt.htm

it talks about ventilation and humidity issues at end of hatch. I know what I did wrong -- I kept the vent plugs in to keep the humidity up and temp up because it had gotten cold and dry. Then during all of the last minute adjustments and checks I may have let the humidity drop after the chicks pipped.
    who knows? I'm also extremely big on ventilation usually so this was a change of my practice. Also, I am very strict with sanitation. I sanitize the eggs as well as the incubator and I always use hand washing and sanitizer before I touch anything.
    I wish you better luck next time!

3. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    momma's chickens :

I have hatched before but also in the Hovabator, could it be the LG, which I borrowed or what????????

People have good hatches with all kinds of good and bad and homemade incubators. Personally I have had many temperature fluctuations, humidity issues and still have good hatches. I use an LG and Hovabator still airs and a homemade one with a fan. The only thing about the LG is that every time you open it you have to make extra sure the lid seats back on the bottom completely.
    I started using the windows instead of opening it. Get burned a lot, but it keeps the temp from dropping.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by